It is originated in South Africa. Watermelon was cultivated in Egypt which dates back and then started in Mediterranean areas. The seeds were placed to the tomb of kings in Egypt with a belief that it will feed their body after life. Watermelon is native to South Africa and is known since past 5000 years. The evidence shows that the cultivation of watermelon was found near Nile valley in 2nd millennium BC.The seeds of Watermelon was found on tomb of Pharoah Tutankhamun. In 10th century, China started the cultivation of Watermelons. In 16th century, it was introduced to Native Americans.
Benefits of Watermelon seed oil
Used as a carrier oil
This oil is used as carrier oil for massage uses. It absorbs fast into the skin being light in texture. It is also used to dilute the thicker carrier oils for making it thin. It is also used as carrier oil for the essential oils. It could be used alone for baby massage.
It is useful for oily skin by lowering the sebum production. It makes the skin less oily. It is helpful for the skin problems like acne that is caused due to excessive oil production. It prevents the hair follicles from being clogged and the condition such as folliculitis. It helps to treat skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema. It could be applied to the skin directly.
It is added as an ingredient in hair care products. It lowers oiliness on hair and scalp. It lowers hair being frizzy and provides it nutrition. It could be used as hot oil treatment for shiny and smooth hair.
Prevent free radical damage
Watermelon seed oil acts as an antioxidant to the skin cells. It counteracts with oxidizing agents and free radicals which are the major cause for speeding up aging process and also induce UV radiation damage. Massage with this oil to the skin. It enhances the skin to prevent free radical damage.
This oil assists the body to eliminate toxins. Massage with warm oil to remove the environmental toxins and dirt from the skin. It acts as a great detoxifier and skin cleanser.
Acts as a diuretic
Massage with watermelon seed oil to the middle back region and lower abdomen. This increases the urine output and tones the urinary system. It is helpful for the people with scanty and infrequent urination. This also prevents kidney stones.
Promote immune health
Watermelon seed oil has adequate amount of Vitamin E. If ingested, it promotes the immune function and acts as an antioxidant activity. It prevents undergoing oxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids. It prevents the lipids and nervous system.
Watermelon seed oil has hepatoprotective properties this helps to lower AST and ALT level in blood. It is used as an aid to reduce liver damage that is promoted by toxic substances.
Uses of Watermelon seed oil
- Being an emollient, it is used for baby care products.
- It eliminates toxins from the skin and does not clog the pores.
- It helps to heal chapped, dry and cracked skin and also maintains balance of skin moisture and also improves the complexion of skin.
- It is used as a hair conditioner.
- It helps to lower wrinkles.
- Apply Watermelon seed oil to the scalp that helps to promote healthy growth of hair and also repair split ends.
- Add few drops of Watermelon seed oil to the make up remover, favorite cream, shampoos, shower and bath gel, sunscreen products, face mask and lip balms.
- It is used for the prevention of cancer, strokes and maintains cardiovascular health.
- It helps to lower blood pressure.
- It is helpful to treat dandruff and itchy scalp.
- It provides glow to the skin.
- It helps to repair and soothe irritated and damaged skin.
- It prevents skin infection, soothes the body and provides relief from stress.
- It is helpful for the people with depression.
- It lowers pitta and balances blood. It soothes blood vessels and promotes blood flow.
- It restores the elasticity of the skin and prevents the chances of premature aging.
- It enhances the immune function.
- It is used as a carrier oil for aromatherapy uses.
- It treats the skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema.